RE: * TR3 Crapped Out Again *

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: * TR3 Crapped Out Again *
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:20:14 -0700
> I don't know if the problem is heat related or distance related.   The car
> has always started fine with no choke.

Warning, Warning Will Robinson !  If it starts fine from cold with no choke,
it's too rich !

I would definitely try another coil.  A cheap aftermarket coil from K-mart
will work just fine, if you find a ballast resistor to go with it. (K-mart
used to sell ballast resistors, but they probably don't any more.)

Also sounds to me like you're having "rich idle" problems, which can be
caused by worn jets.  Have your jets been replaced recently ?  If not, I'd
do them too.  "Rich idle" can cause weird plug problems too, wouldn't hurt
to put in some new plugs (I like Bosch WR7BP) at the same time as you
replace the jets & coil.  Save the old plugs, you can try reusing them after
you get the engine running reliably.  Be sure they're gapped to .025" even
though some books say .032".  Plug gaps should always be checked when you
install them, even if the plugs say they are "pre-gapped".

Wouldn't hurt to check fuel pressure when you're having the problem, either.
Most vacuum test gauges will also read fuel pressure, just tee it into the
line at the front carb and lead the hose out from under the hood/bonnet,
trap the gauge under a windshield wiper while you take a test drive.  Leaky
float valves can also cause "rich idle".  One way to test is to pump up
pressure with the priming lever and see how long it will hold pressure.
Should hold it for a minute at least, if it goes down immediately then
something is leaking.

Randall