RE: if the TR3 were made today

To: "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: if the TR3 were made today
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:36:33 -0700
> If the TR3 was still built today, what changes would it have to
> make it legal
> in today's world or just better?

To be legal would basically require a complete, ground-up redesign.  Simply
no way to meet current safety requirements without a complete rework of the
frame and body.  Electronic engine management would be a must for emission
control, which might save most of the original 100 bhp ... but with all the
extra weight of the safety improvements, the result could not be called a
sports car without redoing most if not all of the driveline.

Compare a new Bug to a classic one ... you'll get the idea.  Hard to tell
they're even made by the same company.

"Just better" is a long-winded topic, my list is something like :

. high output alternator
. high power headlights
. high power brake lights
. electric cooling fan
. MP3 player
. sway bars front & rear
. uprated suspension bushings all round
. wider wheels
. wider, lower tires
. taller gears to match lower tires
. and of course, more power !

Oh, and an invisibility cloak so the CHP can't see me would be nice, too <G>

Randall