Slow returning pedals on TR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slow returning pedals on TR4A
From: "The Ruperts" <rupert@journey.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:38:05 -0400
Hi folks,

I'm out of lurk mode for a moment, with a nagging problem.  Both the brake and
clutch pedals are slow to return after they have been depressed.  I have to
hook my foot under them to pull them back up.  I know I've seen this problem
mentioned in years gone by, but durned if I can figure out how to search the
archives for it.  Must be my blazingly fast dial-up connection.  Anyways, here
are the particulars:  every hydraulic line and fitting was replaced on both
systems during the rebuild, and both m/c's as well as the slave cylinders and
front calipers have all been replaced or rebuilt with new seals.  I filled
both systems with silicone brake fluid, since I know I'm accident prone and
didn't want to mess up the paint.  Memory isn't what it used to be, I don't
remember if this was a potential problem with the silicone fluid or not.  Also
wondering if this could be caused by air in the system(s), but both pedals
feel firm.  If someone could jog my memory with a fix I would appreciate it.

Dave Rupert
1967 TR4A (gonna make Ohio this year, I swear!)
1957 TR3 (might make Ohio in 20 years)
1980 TR7 (any dolly sprint motors out there?)