Tie-rod end tightness

Subject: Tie-rod end tightness
From: "Glenn Coughenour" <gecoughenour@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:00:31 -0400
When installing new tie-rod ends today, I found I could tighten three of
the four to about 25 lb-ft but the fourth [an inner] would not because
the shaft would turn.  I would have thought the shaft would seat tightly
enough in the center tie-rod holes to take some torque.  The manual does
not specify any torque on these, but the nut on one side is further
about two or three turns more on the shaft than the other. They have new
nyloc nuts and flat washers.  On the tight side there is nearly a full
thread out of the nut.  On the looser side, the nut is flush with the
end of the shaft.  What is the experience out there?  Is there another
trick I need to learn?

Glenn C

1959 TR3A TS31684L [in total frame up restoration]

1960 TR3A TS64803L [driving, but needs work]