Re: Is there anywhere in the world...?

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is there anywhere in the world...?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:41:06 +0100
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, at around 20:35:01 local time,
david@robertson.org.nz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>New Zealand probably isn't too bad an option. We don't seem to be
>getting any of the police state stuff happening and not too much
>legislation interfering with things. Car clubs are strong here and
>Triumphs (esp 2000 & 2500 saloons) are still fairly common daily
>drivers.

Splendid.

>If you want to see what New Zealand looks like, go & see the Lord of
>the Rings movies. Everything was shot in New Zealand, some of it only a
>few minutes from where I live.
>Downsides would be:
>
>New Zealand dollar is worth about 57 cents US. Once you put freight on
>as well, parts are expensive.

Noted.

>Top income tax rate is 39% and you don't have to have a very large
>income to hit that.

That's not much of a drawback when compared to UK.

> We also pay a standard 12.5% 'Goods & Services Tax'
>on virtually everything.

Whereas we pay a standard 17.5%...

>Petrol is slightly over $1 per litre (that's NZ $ - so say 60 cents
>US). Better than UK I think

By a factor of two.

> but more expensive than the US. However
>it's all unleaded. I use a lead substitute with each fill.

After forty years of leaded petrol, Ellie's engine runs beautifully on
unleaded.   Maybe I'd better leave Carly in UK, though.

>Cars have to have a 'Warrant of Fitness' check done every 6 months.
>These have recently been getting much tougher - for example, one of my
>Triumphs has holes in the seats to mount headrests although it had
>never had them. Instead it had plastic blanking plugs over the holes.
>One of those plugs was missing so the car failed on the grounds that an
>open hole indicated a possible missing headrest. Basically, if your car
>had it new, it must have it now & it must work.

That's my philosophy of Triumph ownership, so I should be OK.

Thanks for the info.   It is all looking very positive so far.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671