Re: Here's a thread we haven't had for a while...

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Here's a thread we haven't had for a while...
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:57:02 -0500
When I had just gotten my TR-6 and it was real polished up, I pulled into a
gas station and the kid at the register couldn't stop looking at it.  I
happened to be wearing some BMW logo'd shirt from a show I had recently
attended and the kid was convinced that my car was a new kind of BMW
convertible.

I thanked him for the compliment on my car but then proceeded to tell him
that not only was the car not new, but it had just had its 30th birthday.

Kids at the bus stops on the way to work are loads of fun.
They will stop and stare and point ask questions.  They never have a clue
what a Triumph is.

When I had an Ansa exhaust and some skinny stock tires on the TR-4 . . I had
even been known to ham it up for them a little bit.  Make the left turn and
get a little heavy footed with the gas and clutch  . ..  smoke the tire a
bit while screeching away.  From that day forward those kids tried to goad
me into doing it every time.

After tearing the rear end out of the TR-6 after I first got it . .I got a
little gun shy with that maneuver.
The IRS and the fat tires on the Panasports didn't lend themselves to it
quite as well.

One day two little kids came up to the door of the 6 at a gas station and
wanted to know what kind of car it was.
I told them a Triumph and they were dumb founded.  They didn't know what a
Triumph was, but they wanted a fast car like it.   I tried to tell them that
while it may look and even sound fast, it was really one of the slower cars
on the road.

One of the kids told me I was crazy.  He said that he had seen lots of
speedometers, and very few of them went up to 140 MPH.  So my car was
definitely one of the faster ones.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday
Leesburg, VA