eBay scam or not?

To: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Subject: eBay scam or not?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:55:19 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h13Nvkhu006249
Message text written by "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net"
>Today is the second time I have received an email supposedly from eBay,
official looking and everything asking me to verify my account.  The first
I ignored because it was asking for credit card info, which I never gave
them and as far as I can remember, you dont need it to register as a
buyer  it said that if I didnt verify within 24 <snip>hours

That, all by itself sounds alarm bells.  A typical scam will not give the
target a  time to reflect or (worse yet) check out the request.  "You must
respond right away or dire things will happen!"

Remember, even the IRS will give you 30 days.

So, if someone tells you you must di something in 24 hours, and it isn't
your doctor, beware!

Dave