RE: TR6 differential off centre?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 differential off centre?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:50:16 -0800
> This is interesting. As I recall the first Lexus was designed so
> that the drive system was a straight line from the gearbox output
> shaft to the differential - so as to minimise vibration
>
> This suggests that either the engine or, more likely, gearbox
> output shaft is offset to one side of the car, or...?

More likely the halfshafts (from the diff to the wheels) are unequal
lengths.

Also, it's not impossible to build a differential with the input shaft
centered between the two axles, it's just that the result is somewhat more
expensive to manufacture and the centering is not considered important (by
most car makers).

Randall