Re: TR6 differential off centre?

To: listreader@pvision.co.uk
Subject: Re: TR6 differential off centre?
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:58:47 -0500 FILETIME=[F274D9F0:01C2A5F5] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gBHHwYLu015517
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
>This is interesting. As I recall the first Lexus was designed so that the
>drive system was a straight line from the gearbox output shaft to the
>differential - so as to minimise vibration

>This suggests that either the engine or, more likely, gearbox output shaft
>is offset to one side of the car, or...?
This may be true if youre trying to remove ALL vibration as using a pair
of standard u-joints, even if properly phased will not prevent the drive
shaft itself from vibration as the center shaft will vary in speed as the
joints operate at through their respective angles. (although using a pair
of constant velocity joints should alleviate that).  Considering the year
that these cars were built, and the type of vehicle it is this vibration in
the shaft itself is minor and in a sports car, with many more pronounced
vibrations, this very minor one would be practically insignificant :-)