RE: Broken Crank

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Broken Crank
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 08:27:15 -0800
> balance the flywheel
> and crank (my shift lever hardly vibrates at all and the engine
> is noticeably
> smoother), and modify the crank to accept the more modern rear
> main lip seal
> as supplied by Moss Motors, (no leaks so far!).
>
> Make sure that you magnaflux your replacement crank for cracks before
> spending any money on it, or you might be repeating this scenario
> all over again.

Other suggested solutions include having the crank shot shot-peened and
nitrided.

The original fan and it's rubber mounts supposedly serve as a harmonic
dampener to reduce incidence of broken cranks.  Supposedly if you remove it
(as I have), you need to add a dampener (as I haven't).  So far I've been
lucky.  Dampener kits are available from places like BFE and Racetorations;
but they sure aren't cheap !  TriumphTune used to offer a kit that allowed
using a dampener from a MGB, but I don't know if it's still available.  You
could ask Moss UK.

Randall