Re: Brake System Conversion TR4A to TR 6 Dual System

To: hfader@usa.net, ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, jerryvv@alltel.net
Subject: Re: Brake System Conversion TR4A to TR 6 Dual System
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:37:19 EST
Randall wrote:

>Jerry, I haven't tried it (yet), but removing the PDWA should not be a
>problem since you're making up new lines anyway.  It's only
>purpose in life
>is to run the dash light.

Hugh replied:

> Not quite true. It is also a safety device. It isolates the front and rear
> hydraulic circuits. In the event that one of them fails, the shuttle valve
> shifts to cut it off and also turns on the light. The other circuit will
> still work giving you some stopping power.

Sorry, Hugh, but Randall IS CORRECT. The PDWA is a safety device, but only
inasmuch as it serves to activate the warning light. It is part of the
function of the dual-circuit MASTER CYLINDER to shut off one circuit in a
failure and divert pressure to the other circuit.

> It is not a proportioning valve though. So normal brake function will be OK
> without it.

This part is correct.

It's all very clear in the Workshop Manuals.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, Vice President, Member Services
  and 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Vehicle Consultant
The Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>