Garage heating advice requested

Subject: Garage heating advice requested
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:53:56 -0500
Well it's cold out here in Montreal. Today it's supposed to get to a high of
-14 degrees C (+7 degrees F). That's too cold to work comfortably.
My TR6 is hiding shivering in my unheated garage. So the question that's in
my mind is can I arrange some warmth for short sessions of mechanical work?
Here is the physical situation:

I have a 2-car boathouse-type garage. That is a wooden structure about 25
feet square with a peak roof and no false ceiling. The rafters are about 10
1/2 feet above the gravel floor. I have been planning for a concrete floor
for 3 years now, but money being what it is (i.e. scarce) it hasn't happened
yet. The main posts of the structure are on concrete pillars. I can always
stuff wood and snow to block the gaps between the bottom of the walls and
doors and the ground to stop draughts.

So can I put in a kerosene heater or somesuch thing? I have seen things like
a big propane heater with a blower attached. I can buy one of those 220V
industrial cubes for $100. Last year I ran a strong 220VAC line underground
to a full fuse panel and wired the garage and put in nice fluourescent
lighting. However below freezing the lights don't like to start up easily. I
mean I don't want to heat the building as it is completely uninsulated and
the cost would be insane. Not to mention that without insulation the roof
would just become a total ice bed. But for short sessions perhaps just
heating the air in the garage would be doable.

So any experience from the list would be invaluable as well as serving to
warm the cockles of my heart. :^)

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6