Re: Garage heating advice requested

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Garage heating advice requested
From: "ian.viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:54:20 -0000
Mark Hooper asked:

Well it's cold out here in Montreal. Today it's supposed to get to a high of
> -14 degrees C (+7 degrees F). That's too cold to work comfortably.
> My TR6 is hiding shivering in my unheated garage. So the question that's
in
> my mind is can I arrange some warmth for short sessions of mechanical
work?

Mark - My garage is of a similar construction - tongue & groove board/felt
covered roof plus concrete floor, but it doesn't get nearly as cold here in
Derbyshire. We get the odd spell down to about -5c.  Last year I insulated
the garage with the stuff used for loft insulating and covered this with
scrap board sheet (hardboard, 5 ply etc - whatever I could scrounge). I then
covered the outside with offcuts of upvc hollow board. I use a combination
of electric fan heater placed nearby to where I am working & a calor gas
heater which I switch on when I get home from work and leave on whilst I
have meal before venturing into the garage. I have also fitted two oil
filled electric tubes linked to a frost stat to protect the pipes that go to
the washing machine (no room in our small house!). Where I stand at the
bench I have put a couple of layers of old carpet tiles - this seems to have
stopped my feet getting cold quite so quickly. Oh, and I wear plenty of
clothes!
Cheers,
Ian Viles
73 TR6