Fuel Leak

To: Marshall <mkatnt@netscape.net>
Subject: Fuel Leak
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:26:18 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Marshall
>Hopefully I'm posting to the list.

Yes you are.  (posting to the list that is, not just hoping)  ;-)

>My garage reaks from petrol yet I see none on the floor. My fuel gauge
seems >to drop even though I'm not driving. Could a worn out gas cap gasket
be >causing so much trouble?

You obviously have an evaporation problem but even a vented fuel system
shouldn't experience a level drop.  If it is dripping on the floor and
evaporting there would be tell-tale signs (rings) where the petrol had
been.   Do you see any of these?  Another possibility is that there is a
leak into some other (hidden) part of the car where it then evaporates
leaving the tell-tail rings in this hidden cavity.

Check all the fuel hoses - especially the old, hard, dry hoses that haven't
been changed in 30 years.  My TR8 (which is a mere 20 years old) had a
small hose that looked good fromthe top but underneath it was cracked and
leaked enough to make for a strong smell of petrol (benzine, essence,
gasoline, whatever).

Cheers and good luck.

Dave