Re: V5 Toledo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: V5 Toledo
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:38:50 +0100
In article <5f.25c05037.29e8eece@aol.com>, ZoboHerald@aol.com writes
>In a message dated 4/12/2002 5:14:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM writes:
>

>> I've no idea if BMW even owns the 'rights' to the name Toledo.  I think this
>> would have to be a trademark (in US law anyway), and AFAIK car model names
>> are normally not trademarked.  I could certainly be wrong ...
>
>I don't know...copyright, trademark, service mark...whatever the laws call
>it, but car names often are protected in one way or another. ISTR some flak
>from the White truck people, directed toward Ford's original "pony car";
>White at the time was building Super Mustang trucks. For years (still?), SCCA
>got something like $5 from Pontiac Division for every Trans-Am sold. And how
>could we forget the endless battles between Mr. Shelby and...well, just about
>everyone over Shelby Cobra. ;-)

And of course, the Spitfire name was obtained by Triumph after
Vickers-Supermarine contacted them to ask if they could use the name
Vanguard for their new aeroplane, in exchange for allowing Triumph to
pick whichever Vickers-Supermarine name they wanted.   Just think, I
could now be driving a Triumph Swift, or a Triumph Attacker, if Triumph
hadn't decided that they preferred Spitfire...

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"