Re: V5 Toledo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: V5 Toledo
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:15:42 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/2002 5:14:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM writes:

> I've no idea if BMW even owns the 'rights' to the name Toledo.  I think this
> would have to be a trademark (in US law anyway), and AFAIK car model names
> are normally not trademarked.  I could certainly be wrong ...

I don't know...copyright, trademark, service mark...whatever the laws call
it, but car names often are protected in one way or another. ISTR some flak
from the White truck people, directed toward Ford's original "pony car";
White at the time was building Super Mustang trucks. For years (still?), SCCA
got something like $5 from Pontiac Division for every Trans-Am sold. And how
could we forget the endless battles between Mr. Shelby and...well, just about
everyone over Shelby Cobra. ;-)

--Andy Mace

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
-- Oscar Levant