Re: V5 Toledo

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: V5 Toledo
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:04:57 +0100 g3CM9Yw04264
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>

> To add insult to injury, this car was a Toledo - a *Seat* Toledo.   Did
> Seat buy the rights to the name from BMW, or did they just pinch it?

Hi Mike,
    All car names (at least in the UK) are held on a register - I think one of
the Graham Robson books on BMC featured a list of which names were held by
which companies, including names which were never actually used. As the story
goes, SEAT had to ask permission of Rover Group (as was) if they could use the
name Toledo - the reply apparently was "Why???" It may be apocryphal, but it's
a good story,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--