RE: Installing Valve seals on a TR6 - logistics

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Installing Valve seals on a TR6 - logistics
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:03:08 -0800
> He thinks the air pressure wont hold up the valve enough to
> allow the keepers
> to be removed.  He says when I whack the spring down to break
> them loose, Ill
> open the valve, loose the pressure and it will drop.
>
> He also says it wont matter as long as the engine is at top dead
> center cause
> the valve wont fall far enough to lose it anyway.
>
> Anyone been there done that care to comment?

Scott :

I've done exactly this to my TR3A.  Yes, it's a problem, most of my valve
keepers were stuck tightly enough that the air pressure wouldn't hold the
valves.  I solved the problem by putting a short length of 1" water pipe on
the retainer and rapping it with a BFH a few times to loosen up the keepers.
Then I was able to compress the springs (using a homemade 'lever' type
compressor, basically just a bar of steel with some strategic holes) and
complete the job with the air pressure holding the valve up.

However, I was not able to keep the piston at TDC during this procedure.
Even with the gearbox in 4th and the parking brake set, I couldn't hit TDC
accurately enough to keep the engine from turning under the air pressure.
So, I just did it with the piston at BDC, and the knowledge that if I
dropped a valve, I would have to pull the head.

Note that, while using the spring compressor, if the valve does open, all
you have to do is release the compressor and it will close again.  There's
no danger of the valve falling once the keepers are released enough to
remove, as there's no longer any force downward on the valve.  You do have
to be a bit careful when installing the seals and reinstalling the spring,
so that the valve doesn't push open, but I didn't find this part difficult.

Randall