RE: TR6 Rear Supsension (longer than expected)

Subject: RE: TR6 Rear Supsension (longer than expected)
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:34:58 +0930
> Glad everything worked out for you, Frank.  I should warn you that,
> depending upon which springs you have in place now, it may not be
> quite as easy to change them later on.  With my 1973 TR6, which has
> competition springs, I cannot remove the spring from the trailing
> arms by simply releasing the lever shock drop arm from the trailing
> arm.  What happens is that the axle shaft encounters the chassis and
> limits the downward movement of the trailing arm such that the spring
> is still SLIGHTLY compressed.  So for me it is necessary to unbolt
> the half-shafts from the differential.  This frees up the inboard end
> of the half-shaft and allows the trailing arm to drop far enough to
> release the spring entirely.  Now this may or may not be the case for
> you.  It depends on the springs.

OK - thanks for the tip. I have some spring compressors, so if push came to
shove I could cope with having to compress the rear springs a bit to get
them in.

> You probably ought to take the car down to an alignment shop and have
> a four-wheel alignment done as well.  I'm assuming the front end is
> in good shape, of course.  But I'll guarantee you that the alignment
> of the rear wheels is not what it was now with the new bushings.
> Order several of the proper alignment shims and take them to the
> alignment shop with the car so they can use the right shims.

That's one step I omitted from my previous e-mail as I didn't do it. When I
had the rear end in pieces I noticed that the tyres didn't have as much
tread left on them as appeared from looking at them in situ. Actually, the
"as much tread" in the previous sentence should be replaced with the more
accurate "any tread". I find it a little odd that the rear tyres both wore
more rapidly on the inside than the outside, but that's what happened.
Needless to say I now have five new tyres on the car, and got a four wheel
alignment while I was there... Oh, and I did the front end at about this
time last year, so I'm happy with its condition...

> Also, you might check the bolts that secure the half-shafts to the
> differential to see if they've loosened up any.  I always replace the
> nylocs when I have these apart, (and I realize you had to since yours
> were all rounded off) but nylocs or no nylocs, the things will go
> just a smidge loose on you after the first few drives.

Good idea - I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll have a look at that this
weekend.

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide