Re:TR4 Wiper Motor Colour

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:TR4 Wiper Motor Colour
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:37:29 +1000 FILETIME=[C53A1180:01C1DA3A]
Cc: dnja.rogers@bigpond.com.au
David Rogers wrote:

>Carl Sereda suggested that it could be Hammerite Grey but I beg to >differ.
>All the material I located, together with my memories of the >mid-60s, when
>I owned a TR4, suggests that the colour of the main >metal sheath of the
>wiper motor was crinkle (or wrinkle, depending on
>how you choose to describe it) black. It is basically the same finish >and
>colour as the H frame which supports the dash inside.

>All the concours TR4s I have seen in Australia have had the black
>finish.

I would have to agree with David on this. The centre section of my wiper
motor is wrinkle black (although very poorly applied). Every concours TR4
and TR5 I have seen in Australia displays the same finish.

For an indicative picture look at page 63 of Piggot's book. The motor in the
picture has far better wrinkle paint quality than my motor...

The Triumph Register of America's TR4/4A judging guidelines say that the TR4
optional two speed wipers came in hammerite grey. I cannot confirm or deny
this as I have never seen a correct two speed TR4 wiper in Australia (unless
it was borrowed from a TR4A).

On my list of things to do is to respray the motor section as well as the
'H' dash support bracket in wrinkle black, hopefully I will achieve a better
finish than my PO did.

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4