RE: Kerosene Heaters

To: "'Anthony Rhodes'" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Kerosene Heaters
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:00:41 -0500
Tony,
        I run my lbc workshop  heater cherry red ( and hotter!) all the
time; I've noticed the same unburnt hydrocarbon stench when the endplate on
the heater is not red.  My last heater ran for 15 years in 'full cherry'
mode, with no bad effects.  I stopped using it because the non-adjustable
pump pressure gradually dropped, and the combustion temp dropped, and
hydrocarb stink worsened.   The burner chambers are usually pretty robust,
I do not believe you are doing any harm...   My newer heater has an
adjustment, I usually run it cranked up to a nice orange glow.
Regards
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A  TS36967

Tony Wrote->
However, when the pressure is set to the "correct setting", then the metal
baffle in the front of the machine (where
the hot air exhausts) glows cherry red.  Is this supposed to run this hot?
If I turn down the pressure, the baffle is not
so hot, but the smell of kerosene is pretty gross.  I did not run it at the
"red" setting long enough to tell if there is
less of a stink.

Does anybody have experience with these things and the proper color of the
baffle?

///
///