RE: parts solvent

Subject: RE: parts solvent
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:44:23 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Phil Ethier wrote :

> >Even the EPA, who mandated we put MTBE
> >in our gas,
>
> NO THEY DID NOT!

Strictly speaking, that's true.  What they did was tell the oil refiners
"You must put xx% of one of these chemicals in your gasoline".  It was the
oil refiners that got to make the decision "Should we use MTBE which
increases our cost so much a gallon, or Ethanol that increases our cost
twice that much ?".  If it was my profit that would go to buy the ethanol, I
sure know which I'd choose !

I can also see an argument against using ethanol, which is made from grain
that could be used to feed people, to power our gas-guzzling SUVs in a world
where people starve every day.  But I doubt that the oil refiners care about
this argument <g>

Randall

///
///