RE: parts solvent

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: parts solvent
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:15:36 -0800
Probably percloroethylene (or 'perc'), which has been rated a "probable
carcinogen" by the EPA's Office of Research and Development.  It's also
believed to be a threat to the ozone layer, similar to Freon.

AFAIK, you can still buy the stuff, with a suitable license, but it's
getting pretty expensive.  It's also found in some aerosol brake cleaners,
but the CARB voted just last week to ban it from brake cleaners this year.
http://www.nctimes.com/news/042800/c.html

Many years ago, I worked for a company that made thick-film resistors, and
used perc to clean the ceramic substrates before silk-screening.  A friend
discovered that the ultra-sonic baths of heated perc did an absolutely
wonderful job of cleaning car parts, so when his MGA developed a rear
cylinder leak, he brought the fluif soaked brake shoes into work to clean
them.  It not only ruined his brake shoes (by dissolving the glue that held
the linings to the backing), but that entire day's worth of resistors !
They never did find out what happened ...

Randall

Bowen, Patrick wrote :

> In the Marine Corps they use dry cleaning solvent alot as a
> cleaner.  Don't
> know what it is made of, but it sure as hell works.

///
///