Re: TR4 - Wet Brakes - Scary Problem

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 - Wet Brakes - Scary Problem
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 16:44:58 EDT
In a message dated 24-Sep-00 10:58:25 Eastern Daylight Time,
sanborn@net1plus.com writes:

> I broke a cardinal rule big-time by driving the TR4 in driving
>  rain. I had never driven this car in heavy rain before.  I
>  noticed quickly that on the interstate doing 65-70 MPH that I had
>  NO brakes at all for at least 4 or 5 seconds when the rain was
>  heavy. After a period of pushing hard on the pedal the brakes
>  would start to come back.  During the first 2 secs the car would
>  want to pull to the right a bit. Like a bolt of lightening... I
>  remembered this "feature" of my original TR4. This used happen to
>  other 1960s cars.

Brian, as for "the cardinal rule"  -- my TR4 was the family car for six years
in the '60's.  The car was driven in ALL kinds of weather (in the Hudson
valley and up and down the East Coast) and I never had the problem you
mention.  Sounds as if your idea of the pads absorbing water might have some
merit.  After 4 or 5 seconds they could be dry enough from the heat of
friction to start working again.  Also maybe if the rotors are badly scored
water is collecting in the grooves. Just a thought on that.

As long as you are rebuilding the brakes I suggest you might want to check
the rotors for scoring but definitely change the pads.  Cheers.

Art Kelly