Re: A few questions for the TR4/TR4A experts

To: Herald948@aol.com
Subject: Re: A few questions for the TR4/TR4A experts
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:44:01 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu

The US was the only nation that made such an issue of "Model year."  All
of Europe simply had model names that reflected modificatins/updates, etc.
The manufacturers kept records (as they still do) based on date fo
manufacture, not model name.  Thus to the English or Germans, there was no
such thing as a 1960 TR-3A, or a 1965 Mercedes Benz SL 240.  There were
simply TR-3A's, and SL 240's manufactured on such-and-such a date.  When a
car was imported to the US, and titled to the final buyer, then it
acquired a model year.  But this only meant something to US buyers, not to
the manufacturers.

Thus as observed, there were 1961 TR-4s, and 1963 TR-3B's.

Cheers.

 On
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 Herald948@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/29/00 8:25:11 PM EST, dsforza@megahits.com writes:
>
> > > 3. How many of the 1961 TR4s were vactually titled as 1962s?
> >
> >  Lots I suspect. I have a friend in the hartfor area who owns a titled
> >  1962 TR4 and a 1963 TR3B... go figure.
>
> Just to add to Don's comment a bit, the TR4 was introduced very late in 1961
> and would likely have been considered a 1962 model by almost everyone. After
> all, what dealer in his/her right mind would willingly ask for supplies of
> LAST YEAR'S model to sell? Similarly, many of the TR3B cars were built in
> summer and fall of 1962 and would have arrived stateside for sale in what
> everyone else would call the 1963 model year.
>
> --Andy
>
> Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register

James A. Ruffner