Re: TR3 Trunion Grease Nipple

Subject: Re: TR3 Trunion Grease Nipple
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:04:03 -0500
Scott, I can't say for sure, but from my brief examination of my old ones
(which I replaced), it appears that the steel disk into which the grease
zerk is threaded is inserted into a notch in the trunnion casting and then
the bronze or brass is peened over to hold it in place. If that's the case,
seems to me you could simply tap it a bit all the way around with a small
hammer until it tightens around the steel disk again; then remove the
zerk.If anyone knows of a reason not to do this, PLEASE speak up - I'd hate
to see Scott trash his trunnions with a ball peen hammer!

The vertical link can't be what's holding all this in place because if it
was pressing on the bottom of the trunnion, i.e the grease nipple threads,
that would prevent the trunnion from pivoting freely. And if that was the
case, TR3's would be hard to steer! :^)

Good luck.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L--->O!