RE: Running Question / Electrical

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Running Question / Electrical
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:52:03 +0930charset="iso-8859-1"
Kai,

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, bypassing the
ballast resistor enables tha car to run fine. Is this correct?
If it is then just replace the ballast resistor. When you
start the car in the III position the ballast resistor is
bypassed to allow easier starting, effectively putting in
a jumper lead from battery + to coil +. It would then make
sense that the car stalls when the key returns to the II
position because there's then only one circuit for the
current to the coil to go down - the one with the ballast
resistor. So, either the ballast resistor has gone open
circuit, or one of the wires leading to it has a break in it.
Sounds like an intermittent break if it's sometimes ok....

Hope this solves your problem. BTW you can bypass the
ballast altogether, but you'll end up either burning up
your points very quickly, or frying your coil through
overheating...

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide