Transmission woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission woes
From: dncullig@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:39:54 -0400
Fellow LisTRs -
      Once again, I come looking for help.  The J-type OD that I had
installed in my
76 TR6 this past May is acting up.  It popped out of 3rd gear once or twice
2 weeks
ago and I didn't think much of it.  Now, however, it simply will not stay
in 3rd gear.
It pops out regularly, even when under power.  It'll stay in 3rd if you
hold it in, but even
then you can feel it trying to pop out.  None of the other gears seem to be
similarly
affected.  I'm going to take the tranny out of the car and am planning to
take it back
to the guy who re-built it back in February, but would like to tap the
collective wis-
dom of the list first to see what might be wrong. Any ideas and/or best
guesses
are welcome.  I'd hate to have to go back to my non-O/D transmission,
especially
with a rather long trip to the VTR Regionals coming up in a few weeks, but
I need
the car to be reliable.  Thanks for any and all input.

Dennis Culligan / 1976 TR6 CF57948U(O) - TR6IUMPH / Highland ,NY/
                          DNCULLIG@US.IBM.COM
See www.britsofthehudson.org for info about our club