Very unhappy tr-4 engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Very unhappy tr-4 engine
From: jordan hess von kluck <kluckvon@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:23:28 -0500 (CDT)
Listers,
        Following up to my post yesterday, I got the head off finally and
on first inspection it just seemed that there was much carbon build up or
burnt oil on the tops of pistons 1,2,3 and in the head for those cylinders
as well. Later, my father noticed two large pits in the walls of cylinder
1 (Probably 3-5 mm deep and 3-4 cm wide and tall, almost triangular in
shape). I think we're probably looking at a rebuild, but the thing that
is so strange to me is that right before storage, the engine was rebuilt
with 87mm pistons and liners, and I have not even put 3500 miles on it
since getting it started two years ago. Anyone have any idea what
happened, or what course of action to pursue?
Thanks
Jordan von Kluck