Re: Transmission woes

To: technical@iwnet.screaming.net
Subject: Re: Transmission woes
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:28:42 -0400
Cc: dncullig@us.ibm.com, triumphs@autox.team.net(technical@iwnet.screaming.net)
Hate to disagree, but the only symptom I ever got from weak (and
broken) balk springs was difficult synchronisation.  Learned to use
the throttle to synchronise gears pretty quickly.  What I know of that
might kick the trans out of gear is misalignment (trans to engine,
though I don't have a good explanation of why it does this) or a worn
inner synchro hub (the part that the synchroniser rides on.)  When
engaged, the synchro sleeve teeth engage the hub teeth (inside of
sleeve to outside of hub.)  If the hub rocks on the mainshaft at all,
it will work the sleeve back onto the hub from the mainshaft gear.

But it is absolutely true that dismantling the critter will usually
allow the problem to jump out and grab you.  They're quite simple and
easy to work on, especially with "the good book" (Bentley.) near to
hand.

Good luck, Dennis.
Donald.