Brake binding problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake binding problem
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:48:57 -0400
Hello fellow listers,

I am now able to drive my TR3 under it's own power.  Spent most of the
morning adjusting the mixture.  Some first timer mistakes slowed me
down.

A major problem is that I believe the brakes appear to be locking up
after a short trip.  After about 200 feet they start to bind and then shortly
there after the engine bogs down trying to move the car.  After waiting
the car will roll again but then go through the same routine.  Last time I
noticed that the brake pedal was hard, so I looked and the brake lights
were on.  So I opened one of the caliper bleeders and a small amount of
brake fluif spouted out.  I was then able to get the car back in the
garage.

The brakes have been done over this winter.  New master cylinder.
rebuilt calipers.  SS pistons.  New pads.  SS hardlines.  SS braided
hoses.  New rear cylinders.  New rear shoes.  The rotors were fine, with
lots of metal left, and the drums were like new.

What I would like help with is in trying to diagnose and repair this
problem.

What would cause the brake pressure to build up?  Several times I did
not even touch the brake pedal.

What I plan on checking is:

What appears to be rubbing.
Could the pads be too thick?  The rotors were hardly worn.  The pads
were a little snug when installing.

Could the caliper be off center?  Forcing one pad to always be in
contact.

I will re-check the rear brake adjustment.

As I write this message I am thinking of more things to check.

Is there freedom of movement in the hand brake pawls with the hand
brake off?

If I need to, I will pull the rotor and have it checked for truth.

I won't be able to get to the car until Tuesday evening.  So I can read

Thank you,
Roger
Hoping to make it to the show Fathers Day.

Roger Colson
57 TR3  TS21383L
sassamon@mediaone.net
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sassamon/TS21383L