RE: TR6 trunnions - dilema

To: "Ian Viles" <ianviles@derbysmoths.freeserve.co.uk>, "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 trunnions - dilema
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:27:32 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Ian,

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  This is another area where modern chemistry
has superceded what the factory thought was "gospel".

With oil in the trunnion as you turn the wheel the oil is "pumped" up to the
top threads (think about it a bit) and grit has a chance to drop to the
bottom of the trunnion and out of harms way.

The lubricants available when the cars were new left much to be desired.. I
have literally chipped old grease out of the front hubs on a Spitfire ('76
vintage).  I suspect that's what was in mind when the specs were set for the
trunnion lube.

A good quality grease (moly perhaps) should be fine.  If you ever have
reason to go back to 90 wt, make sure it's Castrol Hypoy C.... there were
all the nasty rumors of what GL-5 does to brass thrust washers... and what's
a trunnion made of?  Hmmmmm?

Cheers,

Jim