Re: GT6 rear oil seal

To: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 rear oil seal
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:38:05 -0400
Cc: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "David A. Templeton"
>Okay I can see that, I have the luxury of a spare block to take things off
>and see what will happen before I tackle the real thing.  I took the seal
>carrier off and as predicted a chunk of the oil pan seal came with it :-(
>
>The carrier looks fairly good, but I won't know for sure until I clean it
up
>and take off the old gasket.  With the gasket between the carrier and the
>block, is it a standard paper one, could I use silicone?

With my recent bad experience with silicone I'm going to recommend using
it?  I think not!

Actually silicone works great IF you have very clean surfaces and you don't
use too much and you take precautions to not exude it all out of the joint.
 One trick I learned from an experimental aircraft friend is to lay a piece
of sewing thread inthe joint.  The thread will keep a small gap between the
mating surfaces and avoid metal to metal contact ensuring that there is
some sealer throughout.  When I replaced my main bearings I cut a piece of
gasket to replace the front plate gasket that was torn when I removed the
bridge piece.  I gooped it up generously with Form-A-Gasket #2.

Or you could just live with the leaks.

>I have popped seals out of other engines before by resting the seal on a
>block of wood and tapping the holder with a rubber mallet.  Also,  I cut
the
>seal out.  Is there any recommended method over one of these?

What ever works for you.  Just don't score the bore too badly.

Good luck.

Dave