Re: GT6 rear oil seal

To: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 rear oil seal
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:08:16 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>

> No.  the engine will rotate and could possible tear the engine mounts.
> Support the back of the engine by placing a jack under the oil sump (with
> block of wood).  Or support it from above using a sling.
>
> If the GT6 engine is like the TR6 engine the seal is pressed into an
> attachment on the back of the engine and the oil sump has two or so
> attachment bolts that screw into it.  At any rate you will likely spoil
the
> gasket removing the plate so why not just drop the pan and put on a fresh
> gasket?

Okay I can see that, I have the luxury of a spare block to take things off
and see what will happen before I tackle the real thing.  I took the seal
carrier off and as predicted a chunk of the oil pan seal came with it :-(

The carrier looks fairly good, but I won't know for sure until I clean it up
and take off the old gasket.  With the gasket between the carrier and the
block, is it a standard paper one, could I use silicone?

I have popped seals out of other engines before by resting the seal on a
block of wood and tapping the holder with a rubber mallet.  Also,  I cut the
seal out.  Is there any recommended method over one of these?

Thanks

        David A. Templeton
        Open Text Corp.
        Waterloo, ON