Re: Steering Wheel Reconditioning

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reconditioning
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:59:19 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Update and (tentative) conclusion:

I've received many confident opinions from the List as to the rim material
of the original TR6 steering wheel.  They are, in order of adherents:  (1)
leather (2) molded vinyl (3) rubber.  I think it's a genuine leather
rim---though you can't tell just by "feel".  For example, it may feel like
rubber because it's smooth and thick and has "rebound".  But this behavior
can be explained by a wrapped rim having a rubber or hard foam core.  It
may look like vinyl because over time the stitching and the seams tend to
"merge" (as Randall says) with the surrounding material.  But I have my
wife to thank for my high level of confidence.  We wouldn't want to convict
for murder on this evidence, but it works here.

My wife uses a stereoscopic microscope (a "dissecting scope") to identify
plant diseases.  She put the steering wheel under the microscope last night
and was able to show me three things, the latter two using a sharp pin:
(1) a textured surface of sharp-edged micro cracks that look like the
surface of a dry planet.  (2) a surface that is actually a 1/16" (or
thereabouts) skin, and (3) stitching that can be wiggled around with the
tip of a pin separately from the surrounding material.

Lastly, one of the List members did a. . .er. . ."lick test", wherein the
moisture soaked into the rim material as would be expected of something
organic rather than plastic.  (Thanks again, Joe!)  And to cap it off, the
local Brit car restorer says flat out that it's leather---and points out
that Moss sells a replacement leather wrap kit that goes on after you cut
away the original skin.

Conclusion:  genuine leather-wrapped steering wheel.  Anything more
conclusive I can't offer, and as I say, I wouldn't stake anyone's life on
it!  It's also interesting that a debate can break out about what ought to
be (?) common knowledge.  This is just an observation by a relative
newcomer.  In fact, I e-mailed a well-known member of the local Triumph
club this morning, and he said, "I always assumed it was leather.  It feels
like leather, but I'm not really sure now that you bring it up."  It's
interesting, because leather must be treated in certain ways, and it's the
one thing we always have our hands on (!)

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com