GT6 / 240Z carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 / 240Z carbs
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:55:42 -0700
"PLB3" & Steve Nabors wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if the carbs from a Datsun 240Z will work on a GT6? What
>is the CFM? What is the venturi size? Bolt patterns can be changed and
>brackets made.  I had a Datsun roadster once and the carbs worked great and
>were easy to adjust. I think they are almost the same but bigger. Since the
>GT is right at 2 liters and the Z is right at 2.5  ............Well thanks in
>advance!

[Steve Nabors]
>I had a '72 240z once and the carbs should match up just fine(CFM wise as
>the 240 boasted 150HP from a 150cubic inch block at about 5800RPM(I
>believe) in a 7000RPM redline stock engine). I saw a B2000 engine once and
>I could have sworn the carbs used in it were identical SU types as that of
>my 240z. I prefer the SU's over Strombergs. I had a friend that had a '73
>240 and that year model had the Zenith/Strombergs. He had lots of problems
>with his carbs. His problems with the Strombergs may have arisen from all
>the polution crap hangin off the carbs though. I assume the 4 bolt pattern
>will match up to your manifold but maybe not. Good luck.

I don't know if the bolt pattern will match up... it may be close, but in
this case "close" doesn't count.  I'd be surprised if it DID match exactly.

However, ALL 240Z's came with Hitachi side-draft carbs.  Zenith Strombergs
were never used on 240Z models.  Up to mid '73 the Hitachis were very,
very, VERY similar to SU's, so similar in fact that even some Datsun
enthusiasts refer to them as "SU's."  In '73 they changed to a pair of
Hitachi side-drafts that were kind of a mix between Zenith Strombergs and
SU's.  Generally referred to as "flat-tops" because of the "squared-off"
tops of the dashpot covers, These carbs were indeed very troublesome,
mostly because engine coolant was routed through the casting around the
float chambers (which were integral like Zenith Strombergs) for
"pre-heating."  This constant supply of hot water RIGHT TO THE CARBS caused
chronic vapor-lock in late '73 240Z's and in '74 260Z's, both of which used
the "flat-tops."  The early Hitachi "SU's" were very reliable and simple.

All that aside, The throat diameters of these carbs are similar in size to
Zenith Stromberg 175's and I think GT6's were fitted with Zenith Stromberg
150's, weren't they?  So, the moral of the story is, I don't think it'll
work.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6
(and formerly 1973 240Z with flat-top Hitachis)