Re: Gauges

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gauges
From: "Ian Frearson" <frearji@montevallo.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:22:06 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
> > What can I use under the chrome ring to
> > seal the gauge?
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > I rebuilt my entire dash including the gauges and faced this
> > same problem.  The old material was rubber or cork based but
> > was a crumbly powder on my gauges.
> >
> > I talked to the guys at Nisonger in Mamaroneck, NY.(
> > http://www.nisonger.com) They specialize in guage rebuilding
> > and supplied me with the o-rings for the outside of the
> > gauges and lengths of a hollow vinyl tubing that was used to
> > form the seal between the bezel and glass.
> >
> > If you can find a flexible small diameter tubing you could
> > use that.  I could not locate it anywhere.

The vinyl tubing used to retain screening in it's frame (as in a window
screen or screen door) works perfectly for the bezel-to-lens seal. Available
insanely cheap at any hardware store, and probably even at Wal-Mart. I used
it when I rebuilt the Smiths gauges on my Midget, and on an old Jeep CJ
gauge, and it worked perfectly.

Ian Frearson
1980 Spitfire 1500