TR6--MAKING IT SAFER?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6--MAKING IT SAFER?
From: "Steve Myers" <steve@mindtribe.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:24:03 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"

Any safety nuts out there? Any insights on how to make a TR6 more safe?

I'm interested in making my daily driver '71 TR6 as safe as is reasonably
practical. The current setup is stock, with 2-point lapbelts and no rollbar.
Last week my roommate was involved in a 35mph head-on collision on her way
home in a modern car. Not much was left of the car, while she had only a few
bruises on her arm from the airbag. I probably wouldn't have a face right
now (or worse) if that had been me in my TR6.

I'm thinking this involves installing 3 point belts and a rollbar for
starters. A couple thoughts on each:

3 point belts:
This seems a somewhat simple matter--buy the seatbelts from TRF, drill a few
holes and voila. However, I've noticed that the upper pivot for the shoulder
belt would be a good 4"-6" below my shoulder, thus causing my back to arch
forward on impact. I've heard this is bad for your back, and is why many
newer cars have an adjustable pivot point. Maybe the belts could be bolted
to a roll bar? Other ideas?

Roll Bar:
I own one, but took it out temporarily because it is the kind which simply
bolts to the rear "package shelf" behind the seats. I know for racing that
you typically weld one to the frame, which I'm not hot on because it's so
permanent (albeit safe). I'm thinking I might make some steel backer plates
which bolt underneath the package shelf to add strength? Any off-the-shelf
solutions here? Other ideas?

Any insights on this matter are greatly appreciated! Anyone else address
these issues? Any houses that do this for you? I am looking to stay somewhat
inexpensive and "off-the-shelf," but want maximum safety even if that means
paying for it.

Thanks much!
Steve Myers