RE: competition manual online

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: competition manual online
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:03:52 -0400
Message text written by TeriAnn Wakeman
>>I agree completely.  These books are scarce and out of print.
>>I bet that SOMEBODY still owns the copyright, but I doubt
>>they will bother to complain.
>
>Strange.  We just heard from a Triumph parts company in the US who offers
>the Spitfire comp prep manual for sale.  He gets them from another
>company & resells them.  This stongly implies that they are still in
>print and that the copyright owner is stil in business to make money of
>the intellectual property that they own.

Well, In my case the Vizard bood was not a triumph press book, but from
SpeedSport
Motobooks.  I have no idea if they are extant, or who might possibly own
the copyright.  I don't even know if the original 1970 copyright
still is in force.

As for the spit book, well, if it is still in print, then
I think it is OK to excerpt it, and to tell where it is available to BUY.  The
question of the purchase price and intellectual property is still an issue.  Is
the cost just profit to the guy selling the book, or it the owner of the
intellectual property getting a cut of the action.  If not, I have less
of a guilty feeling.  However, I do want to encourage some publisher to
keep these books available, and I will pay money and buy the book to show my
encouragement.

regarding the Vizerd (LONG out of print, AFAIK)
I just think it is important to get the info to people.  If no one is
profiting (except by having a better car) from this, I think the actual
damages the copyright owner could claim is a big fat zero.  They lost no
sales and I made no money off them.  If there is no harm to them, then I
have almost no problem with a guilty conscience....

As I said before, I see this as an electronic version of a lending library, very
long due date....

-Tony