Re: Wobbles

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Wobbles
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:18:34 +0000
Cc: william hofmann <bill@flextrim.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au wrote:

> I replaced all the wheel bearings on my TR7, according to Haynes (5 ft-lb,
> then back one flat). Some months later, I developed shimmy at 75 km/h. It
> took me a while to discover the wheel bearings were too loose. I
> re-tightened them until they felt right (bugger the manual), and so far - so
> good.
I can give you an easy answer, the wheel bearings need to be tightened
up untill you have a specific amount of endfloat.  You also need to
recheck it when the felt washer settels in, after a couple of months.

If you can't mesure it, tighten it up, untill it dosent wobbel then back
it off abit untill you can put a split pin through.

If you have to use more than 5 foot pounds, ether your threads had it,
you haven go the bearings in right or your hub has warn.  In which case
put in a new hub.

As for Bill's problem,
if it's like mine, only less severe.

Take your hub off, and have a look at the track, if it's loose in the
hub, then you need a new hub.  What probebly happend is the DPO did not
notice when the bearing seased, and concequently ware away the hub.
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot