Re: Sybill, The Tranny & The Clutch

To: Carol Zingone <jrhoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Sybill, The Tranny & The Clutch
From: Thomas J Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:41:34
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>I recall Moss having the master at about $140, and the slave around
>$40-$50.  Does anyone have a better price/product/experience ?  I'd
>like to order today (of course) so I can replace Saturday.  I'll be
>checking with my shop dudes too.

I don't like the shot-gun method of repair.   You may get lucky and replace
the right part, but, you may spend $200 and 200 hours and still be where
you are now.

If the slave piston is moving, (you can look at it to see)  AND the clutch
peddle "feel" firm, THEN you may be looking at a clutch plate that is stuck
to the flywheel and just needs to be broken free.

You can do this by dissasembly, or the rough-and-tough method of putting
the car in gear and pulling it around the streets with another car while
holding the clutch down.   (can be a very bad experance if Murphy has
anything to say about it).

(If you put the car in gear, then push in the clutch, AND it has normal
resistance like you are moving the really strong clutch plate spring/s, AND
the car will still not roll without turning the engine THEN you must have a
stuck clutch plate.)    (If you have a broken pin, or lever, bearing, etc.
you should NOT feel normal resistance when pressing in on the clutch.)

Tom Howard
Lakeside Union School District
('72 Triumph GT6, and a good bit of USA iron)