Re: 1978 Spitfire help needed!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1978 Spitfire help needed!
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:58:20 GMT
Trevor writes:

>  ...or ask a Midget 1500 driver like myself, who has an oil
>pressure gauge stock!
>
>  Yes, I get pressure drops during hard braking. From the
>cruise of 70 to maybe 15. However, a lot of that is the
>natural oil pressure loss from the sudden drop in engine
>RPM... hard to say, but it definately exists.

Ah....good point!  Right after installing new main and big end
bearings on my 1500 Spit I hung a temporary oil pressure gauge on the
engine block.  After a full hot, hard run I popped the bonnet and
checked the pressure.  At 800 rpm it was as low as 20psi.  This shot
up to 60 or more as soon as I raised the revs to over 1300.

I figure this is OK keeping in mind that Triumph offers no OP spec at
idle, but watching this large swing from the driver's seat could be
disconcerting. :-)

>> I'm guessing you mean *spirited driving* and several
>> notches down from real RACING...right?  :-)
>
>  My definition would be "Whoa, I didn't see that stop
>sign until the last minute because of the mint condition
>british racing green XYZ in the oncoming lane".
>
>Trevor Boicey

 :-)

Maybe Josh should try to recreate the the problem while the car is
standing still.  That way he could determine whether or not the oil
was sloshing around in the pan while the pump sucked air.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits