Beating the Lucas demons

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Beating the Lucas demons
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 10:28:14 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Two things with regard to the KOPR-SHIELD mentioned below:

     1. I got similar stuff at a local Auto parts store for $1.99 Cdn, so
     Eastwood's price seems high.
     2. You could easily make an electrical path from the terminal to the
     body of the starter with the stuff since it's laden with copper, and
     tends to get everywhere when you use it.

     I like copper-based anti-seize compound a lot, but due to #2, would
     probably avoid it for this application. Actually, I might use it just
     between the nut, washer, and cable, and then cover the works with
     something else, like maybe "Duxseal". (Rubbery putty used for sealing
     ducts).

     Maybe we should figure out what is used on electrical connections in
     Japanese cars; it seems to work very well. I'm referring to the stuff
     that has a consistency half way between wax and oily plastic. Anyone
     know what that is?

     Jim Wallace
     60 TR3 TS81417

     > Malcolm Walker wrote:

     "... I would like to know if there's any product I can put on the
     electrical contacts to stop them from corroding (hopefully, a
     permanent solution...?"

     I have used a product from "Eastwood" called "KOPR-SHIELD" .  In their
     latest catalog, it is number 1695 and sells for $7.99.  (it's a 1 1/2
     oz. bottle, but it goes a long way.)

     I have used it extensively on connections on my TR 4A and believe it
     does help make a better connection.