Re: Beating the Lucas Demons

To: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Beating the Lucas Demons
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, George Richardson wrote:

> > The only _permanent_ solution is gold plated terminals.
> > They never corrode. And the life time cost for plating them
> > is not much higher compared to changing them when corroded.
> > Lots of plating companies can do that.
> >
> > > Sometime soon I will be removing the starter from the TR4 to give
> > > it an overhaul.  I would like to know if there's any product I can
> > > put on the electrical contacts to stop them from corroding
> > > (hopefully, a permanent solution...?
>
> They may not corrode, but the arcing when the contacts open will quickly
> remove the gold plating, making the plating worthless.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the power lead on the
starter.  The only time it should be physically moved is when you take off
the lead.  Gold plating would work, but I can't afford it.

I'm wondering,though-- why does chrome plating 'pit', and rust?  Does it
have to be chipped first?

-Malcolm