Re: Heater pipe repair - TR3

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Heater pipe repair - TR3
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 19:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 18 Oct 1997 JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:

>      This pipe, which I think is steel, has developed some pinholes, and
>      I'm wondering what people have done to successfully effect a repair.
>      I'm contemplating either solder or JB Weld, but I don't know if solder
>      will stick to steel. If solder, should I use acid flux? OTOH I've
>      never tried JB Weld, but anyone I've spoken to who has seems to love
>      it. In either case, how can I prevent the solder or JB Weld from
>      filling up the inside of the pipe too much and restricting the flow of
>      coolant? (I suspect if I get a bit more aggressive the holes will
>      prove to be bigger than they look now.)

My vote is for JB Weld.  It's good stuff.  However, my first thought would
be to replace the entire pipe; ie, if it has some pinholes now, it will
have more soon.  If the pipe's so thin that it is leaking through the wall
then it's probably worn out :-)

FWIW, I have not had many great experiences involving solder and coolant;
it was either a botched soldering job (likely) or the coolant melted the
lead.

Also, the JB weld is thicker than lead can ever be, it shouldn't be able
to seep inside the pipe.  Let it set up for a few minutes before applying
it.

-Malcolm