testing for correct advance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: testing for correct advance
From: MMDBR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 23:39:32 -0400 (EDT)
Fellow and lady listers:

A sometimes situation occurs on my 63 TR4 on which I'd appreciate your
wisdom. It's not a big or all the time problem - I've lived with it long
enough to have gotten used to it. To wit:

Usually after shifting gears in the 3 - 4K RPM range I'll have plenty of
instant acceleration following the shift. Sometimes however, there's a flat
spot right after the shift which requires more than the usual amount of right
foot to overcome. This doesn't happen much when the car is good and warm.

I'm thinking this could be an advance problem. What are the normal ways to
check mechanical and vacuum advance?  Does the micrometer adjustment
mechanism require cleaning or maintenance, and if so how and what? Other
ideas welcome.

TIA

Mike Blonder
Elmhurst, IL  USA