Heater pipe repair - TR3

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heater pipe repair - TR3
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 97 22:31:35 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Ladies, gents, and the rest,

     Extending to the right from the "water tap" at the top rear of the
     cylinder head on my TR3, is a length of metal pipe maybe 5 inches
     long, onto which is connected a length of hose which heads over to the
     bulkhead. This pipe has at its left end a brass fitting that screws
     into the vertical 1" brass piece that screws into the head. I hope you
     can picture the pipe I mean but it's not too critical, this being a
     general question.

     This pipe, which I think is steel, has developed some pinholes, and
     I'm wondering what people have done to successfully effect a repair.
     I'm contemplating either solder or JB Weld, but I don't know if solder
     will stick to steel. If solder, should I use acid flux? OTOH I've
     never tried JB Weld, but anyone I've spoken to who has seems to love
     it. In either case, how can I prevent the solder or JB Weld from
     filling up the inside of the pipe too much and restricting the flow of
     coolant? (I suspect if I get a bit more aggressive the holes will
     prove to be bigger than they look now.)

     All constructive comments welcomed!

     Thanks,
     Jim Wallace