Fw: TR-6 Thrust washers

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: TR-6 Thrust washers
From: "Ralph Jannelli" <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:30:27 -0400charset="us-ascii"
( I am also using IE4 and have not seen these go thru so I am resending )
This is getting interesting!!! I'll add my two pence. The one and only time
I had someone other than myself work on my '72 Spitfire engine was when the
oil pressure relief valve unscrewed itself from the side of the block and I
lost oil pressure. This resulted in a spun bearing. I was between houses in
the middle of a move and had no place to work on the car. So I had no
choice and farmed out the engine work to a local shop. To make a long story
short they installed the thrust washers backwards and inside of a month the
engine was trash!! From this experience I can attest to the fact that the
oil grove goes toward the moving surface i.e. the crank. The Triumph
Spitfire workshop manual say " Slide the thrust washers, white metal faces
outward, between the rear bearing housing housing and crankshaft thrust
surfaces." It show as picture of the oil groves facing away from each other
so they contact the rotating crank shaft surfaces.The oil I believe is fed
out to the thrust washers from the bearing housing, if the flat side is
toward the crank there is no way for the oil to lubricate the thrust
washer/crank surface leading to premature eject-ulation of the thurst
washers.
Ralph Jannelli
'72 Spitfire MKIV
'65 Spitfire MKII