Re: [Fwd: Re: 63 spit top]

To: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: 63 spit top]
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:53:26 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Ficklin wrote:

> Subject: Re: 63 spit top
> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:21:10 -0700
> From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
> To: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
>
> Odd Hedberg wrote:
> >
> > Hi Lewis (and the rest of You gang...),
> >
> > The Spitfire 4 (aka Mk1) was introduced in October of '62. They
> > had made ~1524 of them when the Year ended. All of them with only
> > the detachable stick and canvas type soft tops. In September of
> > '63 the two options of Hardtop and Overdrive was added to the list
> > of optional extras, for customers ordering their cars in Britain.
> > They probably didn't take delivery of the cars until late in '63
> > or possibly early '64. At the end of '63 the Comm No was FC22664,
> > so there You have it. What's Your Comm No?
>
> Odd,
>   My commission # on my '64 Spit is FC18225L.  According to the
> information above, it's really a '63 that was sold and originally titled
> in '64.  Where do you find this sort of info out?  Is this throught the
> BMHT somehow?  I'll have to see if I can get the state agency to change
> that for me on my title.  What kind of "official" info do I need to
> present them with.  I've read about this sort of thing on the list quite
> a bit, but now, I gotta deal with it myself.  Anyway, thanks for your
> note of explaination, and bringing these numbers up!  I'll have to get
> Joe to change the info I gave him in his Spit Database.
>
>   I also have an original steel hardtop, and it appears to fit OK,
> except I don't have the mounting hardware, or the rear glass seal for
> it.  It's kinda low on the priority list right now, with the
> restorations underway.  Thanks again,
>
> Peter Ficklin
> '63 Spit - formerly '64
> '68 Spit - I think!

Peter,
It really makes no difference in the value of the vehicle what the
registeration and title say the year is.

It is the series of the commission number that is the only concern.
As Odd will attest, in Sweden they have Spits registered there whose
dates don' agree with the date of manufacture.  That relates to the
dealer who sold the vehicle.  Since cars sometimes did not vary from
one year to the next, it was easy to do that.  I wouldn't go to any
extreme to correct what really is not a problem.

Joe   '63 Spit