Re: U-Joint replacement

To: duhart@symbol.com
Subject: Re: U-Joint replacement
From: lgmiceli@juno.com (Lawrence G Miceli)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:13:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 10 Jun 97 9:15:08 -0400 DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com> writes:
>Hey All,
>
>       I replaced the u-joints in the prop-shoft of the TR6 this
>weekend.  Got
>the cups in just fine without dislodging any of the needles (except
>for
>the cup that feel to the floor, but a nice recovery was made so we
>won't
>talk about that one).
>
>       Now I'm trying to press the cups together enough to get both
>circular
>clips to seat themselves, and I'm not having much luck.  I only got
>one
>set of clips to seat, and now the u-joint is a bit stiff.  NOT STUCK,
>but
>stiff.  It moves less freely than without both circular clips
>installed.
>
>       The u-joints came from TRF.  I forget the manufacture, but
>they were in
>a green box.
>
>Questions:
>
>1) How much pressure should one have to apply to squeeze the cups
>together so that both clips seat?
>
>2) How stiff should the u-joints be after both clips have seated?
>
>3) It there a place to get thinner circular clips?
>

>       What have your experiences been out there?  I'm worried about
>doing the
>drive-shafts.
>
>Later,
>JHD IV

John,

How long ago did you buy the u-joints?  They had a problem a while ago
where the cir-clips were too thick and if you tried to fit both sides, it
would bind the u-joint. Call TRF and speak to Dave Hagenbuch about this.
They had replacement cir-clips available as I recall.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag
'66 Herald